Monday, November 3, 2008

#20



I decided to limit my search in YouTube to library or Library tutorials. There were so many.

They seem to fall into two categories. Funny, with exercising library staff, books used as dominoes, things about the Dewey system and the list goes on. The second group were mostly dry tutorials about using the library, world cat. and databases etc. I watched a summer reading club promotion from Denver Public library. I found it hard to limit my search down to get smaller numbers to decide what video I wanted. I watch the Denver public video and I also viewed the OPL summer reading club video. Denver's video was a story and Opl's was like watching a commercial of TV.

Even though I didn't watch any of the library tutorials I think they are a good way to teach the customers about things like databases, how to videos on using the library. Staff could also benefit from this kind of training. I think people would be more likely to watch a short "how to" then to read a flier that was given to them.

I also saw several videos with celebs reading children's classics like Meryl Streep reading the Velveteen rabbit. Very interesting tool with the ability reach a large customer base.



No comments: